How to “police the mark”?

Trademark Police Trademark Law Intellectual Property

How to “police the mark”?

(1) Employ a professional “watch” organization or your trademark lawyer to review trademarks being published for opposition in the Trademark Office and notify you of similar marks.

(2) Ask your employees, friends and customers to report any similar marks.

(3) Issue demand letters to those who are using similar marks and sue them if they do not discontinue their infringing behavior. The seizure of infringing goods may also be an available remedy. CAUTION: Make a careful investigation to make sure the party you are about to accuse of infringement does not have prior and superior rights to yours.

(4) File your trademarks with the United States Customs Office. Customs will prevent infringing goods from entering the country.

Read more to view related video clips.